Baked ONION Rings – with a hint of naughtiness
The only time to eat diet food is while you’re waiting for the steak to cook
The preteen gets into a health frenzy quite often, when he very sweetly(demands) asks something to be baked instead of fried…Sounds good but what happened to the tiramisu we were hawking over;)))…..
Yesterday I was busy chatting with friends, researching my new photo shop program which I’m thrilled about…and suddenly the urge to make my baked onion rings. Quickly got everything out to prepare, ran out to get a key ingredient and baked these crunchies before my two little hungry trolls got in, OK my spontaneity ends right there. It’s funny sometimes how something as simple as an onion ring can bring some glow to my little ones.
So I’ll leave you today with the simply baked crunchies side….(can be served as a snack, topped on burgers, stuff in a wrap)….with a side of wasabi Aioli…
2 large Onion Rings- Cut horizontals and dry it on a paper to remove the moisture
1 cup Plain All Purpose Flour
2 small bags your favorite potato chips;)( I used Indian Style Lays- my naughty part)
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp chilly powder(optional)
1 tsp salt(or as required)
2 tbsp oil
1. Take 3 shallow bowls
2. Add 1/2 cup of plain flour in one with salt, pepper and 1/4tsp of garam masala
3. In another bowl add 1/2 cup of All purpose flour+salt+1/4 tsp garam masala+1/2 tsp chilly powder and mix with water to make a pancake consistency of batter.
4. Grind chips to a coarse powder and add to the last bowl.
5. Line a baking sheet and if you have a rack to put on top, you’ll get a crispier onion ring.
6. Line all the 3 bowls for dipping. Light dredge an onion into the plain flour mixture, then dip it in the paste and shake extra off and finally dip it into the chips mixture and line it on the rack.
7. Spray all the onion rings with little oil or you could just brush em’ with little oil.
8. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes turning every 10 minutes just not to brown it too much..
These are really good with a good old ketchup, mustard this KICKED up Aioli.
4 tbsp low fat Mayo
1 garlic finely minced
1/4 tsp wasabi powder
1/4 tsp of lemon juice
Mix everything and serve along with the Onion Rings.