SKILLET CORNBREAD with Jalapenos and Chives
It is Grandma’s Recipe and it is GOOD.
My trainer, he is something. He loves food, and gets excited when I bring him lemon cupcakes, his favorite. I sometimes wonder how he enjoys his desserts and competes in body building competitions. Well he does believe in moderation and asks me to enjoy everything.
We have a mutual love for food. And yes, we do talk about food every once in a while when training. Hey, when I am working my shoulders, the thought of a good bread afterwards is the only thing which makes me finish my sets.
He kept bragging about his grandma’s cornbread and I kept bothering him to pass the recipe to me. He did, and I am so thankful to him and his grandma.
Made a couple of adjustments, cut down on butter a tad bit and left the sour cream, but it is so good.
It’s moist, has a crunch from the fresh corn, slight spice from the jalapenos and a light onion flavor from the chives. It is so so good as a side.
SKILLET CORNBREAD(Easy Corn bread with fresh white and yellow corn, mixed in with jalapenos and chives. Moist and full of flavor.
Prep time – 10 minutes
Bake time- 30 minutes
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt or accordingly
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 stick or 1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
2 jalapenos finely diced
1/2 cup yellow corn
1/2 cup white corn
1 tsp finely chopped chives and some for garnishing.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
1. Mix cornmeal, all purpose flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
2. Mix the egg and buttermilk separately and keep aside.
3. In a skillet, add the butter and melt it. Add sugar in the butter and let it melt. Add jalapenos, both the corn and fry for couple of minutes. Turn of the heat, let cool.
4. Add the corn butter mixture and egg, chives and buttermilk mixture to the flour and incorporate it.
5. Pour it in the same iron skillet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Serve warm and ENJOY!!
Note: Add 1/4 cup of sour cream for extra moistness
If you see the top browning faster, just put a foil over it, and it will come out perfect.
You can bake in a baking dish or any oven proof dish.
. Copyright 2013 – Food