CARDAMOM PUMPKIN HALWA with ALMOND CREAM TRIFLE
One of my favorite festivals after I came here is Thanksgiving. There’s something about everyone getting together, cooking, sitting down for a big spread and saying Thanks.
Reminds me a lot of our festivals back in India.
I’ve been reading a lot of blogs about how they are going to celebrate Thanksgiving. What is the one thing you really look forward to on Thanksgiving day? I would love to know. Do you celebrate it the traditional way? DO YOU LIKE TURKEY?
For us it is simple, just the four of us on Thanksgiving. I make mini tandoori birds and some cumin vegetable rice with roasted fingerling potatoes and beans. Last year’s dessert was this pumpkin halwa. The trifle is going to grace our table this year too. I always look forward to our discussion and thanks before we dig in. It is fun to see the little ones being grateful for the things they are. The boys just love the family time.
Then the next couple of nights we meet with friends to celebrate, it is after all a time to mingle and be thankful that we have people in our lives who care.
Have a great THANKSGIVING my friends. My hand model(teen) took the following picture and edited it with the words and wishes all of you on his behalf.
Pumpkin Halwa has a nutty flavor and absolutely delicious with the almond cream. The caramalized top and the candied almonds everything is just so harmonious together.
PUMPKIN HALWA WITH ALMOND CREAM TRIFLE
Time- 20 minutes
Chilling time -30 minutes
For Pumpkin Halwa
2 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup Non fat instant dry milk
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 brown butter
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
For Almond Cream
1/4 cup almonds
3 tbsp of milk
1/2 cup very cold whipping cream
4 tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 cup candied almonds finely chopped
1. In a thick bottomed pan on medium low simmer, add pumpkin puree and let it cook for 5 minutes stirring continuosly.
2. Add the dry milk powder and mix well and cook for another 10 minutes.
3. It should be thick, add both the sugar and brown butter and mix and let it cook for another 10 minutes on low simmer.
4. Turn off the heat and add the cardamom powder.
Let cool in the refrigerator.
5. Soak the whole almond in boiling water for 10 minutes and remove the skin/peel very carefully. MAKE SURE THAT THE WATER IS COMPLETELY COOLED BEFORE PEELING. Grind the almonds with 3-4 tbsps of milk to a fine paste and keep aside.
6. In a cold bowl, add the whipping cream and whip till it form soft peaks. Add the sugar and whip to stiff peaks.
7. Fold in the almond paste carefully making sure not to deflate the whipping cream.
8. fold in the candied almonds carefully and keep it in the refrigerator until ready to assemble.
You could put both in layers in a glass and brulee the top with some sugar.
You could also use a baking dish and line the pumpkin halwa and top with almond cream and garnish with some candied almonds.
It’s a method, this could also be top on a pie base.
Copyright 2013 – Food Fashion Party